Draupadi Murmu is an Indian politician who is currently serving as the Governor of Jharkhand. She was born in a small village in the Mayurbhanj district of Odisha and completed her education at Utkal University in Bhubaneswar. Murmu began her career as a teacher and later served as a member of the Odisha Legislative Assembly from 1995 to 2000. In 2014, she was elected as a member of parliament in the 16th Lok Sabha, representing the constituency of Kandhamal in Odisha. Murmu was appointed as the Governor of Jharkhand in 2015, becoming the first woman to hold the position. In her role as Governor, she has focused on issues such as education, healthcare, and rural development, and has worked to improve the lives of people in the state.
Role of Governor
The Governor is the head of the state government in India and serves as the ceremonial representative of the President of India in the state. The Governor is appointed by the President and holds office at the President’s pleasure.
The main role of the Governor is to ensure that the government of the state is carried on in accordance with the Constitution of India. The Governor has the power to appoint the Chief Minister and other members of the Council of Ministers, as well as to dismiss them from office. The Governor also has the power to dissolve the state legislature and call for new elections.
In addition to these constitutional powers, the Governor also has a number of other important duties and responsibilities. These include:
- Serving as the ceremonial head of the state, and representing the state at various functions and events
- Appointing and dismissing judges of the state’s high court and other judicial officers
- Giving assent to bills passed by the state legislature
- Administering the oath of office to the Chief Minister and other members of the Council of Ministers
- Receiving and acting on the advice of the Council of Ministers
- Playing a role in the appointment of other officials, such as the Advocate General and the Chairman of the State Public Service Commission
- Promoting the development of the state and the welfare of its people.
Works are done by Draupadi Murmu as a governer
As the Governor of Jharkhand, Draupadi Murmu has worked on a number of initiatives and projects to promote the development and welfare of the people of the state. Some of the notable works she has undertaken include:
- Focusing on education: Murmu has emphasized the importance of education and has worked to improve the quality of education in the state. She has visited schools and colleges across the state to interact with students and teachers and has launched a number of initiatives to promote education, including the “Jharkhand Students Credit Card Scheme” which provides financial assistance to students pursuing higher education.
- Promoting healthcare: Murmu has also focused on improving the healthcare system in Jharkhand. She has inaugurated and laid the foundation stones for a number of healthcare facilities, including hospitals and primary health centers, to ensure that people have access to quality healthcare services.
- Developing rural areas: Murmu has also worked to promote the development of rural areas in Jharkhand and has launched a number of initiatives to improve the lives of people living in these areas. These include the “Jal-Jeevan-Hariyali Scheme”, which aims to provide clean drinking water to every household in the state, and the “Jharkhand Rural Livelihoods Project”, which aims to promote sustainable livelihoods for rural communities.
- Ensuring good governance: Murmu has also focused on ensuring good governance in the state and has taken a number of steps to improve the transparency and accountability of the government. She has launched initiatives such as the “Jharkhand e-Governance Project” to digitize government records and make them more accessible to the public and has also worked to improve the delivery of public services.